There are three ways to solve this issue - adjusting the administrative rights, running a DB patch and manually starting the server.
You will need to adjust the administrative rights to solve the following potential problems:
• User is not an administrator on the computer
• High User Access Control (UAC) restrictions
• Not running BioStar as an Administrator
Check your account settings within the Control Panel to confirm that your login account has
the correct administrative rights. If you are the Administrator, try running the BioStar Server Config as an Administrator by right-clicking on the icon and selecting Run as Administrator.
When it has opened, try clicking the Start button to start the server. If you continue to receive the error message, continue to the next step below.
You will need to run a DB patch if the SQL server database is not setup or if there is a SQL
incompatibility. The BioStar server package includes Microsoft SQL Server 2005. If you are running Windows8 or higher, you will have to download SQL server 2008 or above. The database can sometimes be improperly created.
- Run a Database Patch to clean and repair the BioStar database that was created during the installation. Follow the system directory to the server folder of BioStar and run the “DBSetup” as an administrator:
If a database was already created, the patch will finish and the progress window will disappear.
If the database was not yet created, you will be prompted to create your new database.
Make sure that the Database Server name is inputted correctly. You can find your server name connection string when you launch Microsoft Management Studio Express.
- By default, BioStar names the 2005 instance as BSSERVER
- If you have downloaded SQL server before or if you install a new version other than 2005, your server instance name may be SQLEXPRESS
Manually start the server
You will need to manually start the server if the BSSERVER is stalled or not running.
If the above two solutions were not successful, you can check the services application of windows to ensure BSSERVER or SQLEXPRESS is running.
If not, click Start and then try to start the BioStar Server Config: